Total failure by TaxAct

I've been using TaxAct for over 10 years and have generally been pleased. Not this year. I was filing an extension. In the past, you could go directly to the IRS forms and fill one out to submit. I couldn't find a way to do that this year so I basically had to go through the entire process of filling out my Form 1040 complete with Schedule C and associated documents for my business. Looooooong process. Then, the server malfunctioned and I had no choice but to log out and back in...only to find that everything I had done to that point was GONE!!! So I had to do the whole thing again.

Once I completed it again, I tried to submit the extension, payment due and 1st quarter estimated tax payment. When I pressed the 'submit' button, I got one of those cute little 'processing' animations...that continued until my account timed out. Since I never got a notification that it had been submitted and was awaiting acceptance, I did it again...5 TIMES, with the same results. The 5th time, I even upgraded to the next level of TaxActd but got no better results. I gave up, submitted my extension without the payment and it went through. Unfortunately, it was after midnight so I will probably get clobbered with a late filing penalty. And now, I have been on the phone with the IRS for 30 minutes, finally got a human whom I spoke with for about 3 minutes and then rerouted to 'payments due' and have started the entire wait process all over again. "We estimate your wait time to be betwen 15 and 30 minutes."

I went to TaxAct initially because TurboTax pissed me off. Where do I go now, because I absolutely WILL NOT use TaxAct again!

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

More Review Details

• What I liked
      No items
  • What I disliked
    • Failure to process my irs payment
    • Overall performance compared to past years
    • Failure at the most critical point in the whole process
    • Difficulty in navigating the site compared to past years

Reason of review:
Bad quality
Preferred solution:
Let the company propose a solution
Product or service
Taxact Plus
Review category
Tax services
review #832555

Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more

Had an experience with TaxAct? Submit review ›
Helpful? 0 Yes 0 0 No 0
Had the same issue 0 Yes 0
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Apr 19 #1146810

Same thing is happening to me. I'm not filing an extension, just trying to pay what I owe. The processing page has been saving for 28 minutes now. The time out page has come up 3-4 times and I keep hitting continue. I started last night and it did the same thing to me. I am beyond upset.

0 0 Reply
Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

× You are about to contact

Review submitted through "Contact Us" will not get published on the site or forwarded to TaxAct. However, many companies do monitor reviews on our site.

You were reading a complaint about TaxAct.
Filing a new complaint about